Today's blog post was meant to be on an entirely different topic, but suddenly I found something in the Web I had the urgency to fix immediately :-)
Note: I am a total autodidact when it comes to learning Portuguese; I haven't mastered the language yet, but I still hope to. One of the ways I am trying to learn is through poetic translations. As I love rhyming in Polish, I often try to follow the original rhythms and rhymes of the poem or lyrics of a song (I already did it with German texts, for example, partly for the sake of my book on Beethoven).
So, back to the subject: earlier this year, on May 13 a sensitive, good-looking Portuguese singer Salvador Sobral won the Eurovision contest and the hearts of many music lovers with his song Amar pelos dois.
For the first time ever I, as a musician, was not angry with the verdict. And not just because it was Portugal. It remains a matter of faith whether Salvador's victory, which coincided with the centenary of Apparitions in Fatima, was a result of some intervention of supernatural forces - as some devout Catholics spontaneously claimed.
Earlier today, I found a Polish cover version of this song (HERE). Decently performed, aiming at preserving the original style and song meaning. BUT - the lyrics. Um. It is not easy to translate poetic and phonological quality of the Portuguese language into Polish, which seems waaaay less comfortable for singing.
Still, I could not help sitting down with a pencil in order to create my own alternative version, which goes as follows (not a literal, but a more poetic one which - in my view - fits the melody better). Please enjoy reading in Polish now!
Gdy ktoś spyta Cię
Kim byłem - Ty wiedz
Że kochać Cię - to był mój los
Nim byłaś Ty
Dłużyły się dni
I pustka dręczyła co noc
Meu bem [just had to keep it!]
Usłysz me wołanie
Pragnę, byś kochanie
Znowu chciała ze mną być
Ja wiem
Ty się miłości boisz
Lecz kiedyś razem z moim
Twoje serce zacznie bić
Bo serce Twe wie
Co boleść i łzy
I lęka się wciąż
Nie chce zaufać mi
Więc, wciąż nie wiedząc
Co los przyniesie nam
Za dwoje nas dziś
Będę kochać ja sam!
(Copyright: Małgorzata Grajter)
Original Portuguese text below:
Se um dia alguém, perguntar por mim
Diz que vivi para te amar
Antes de ti, só existi
Cansado e sem nada para dar
Meu bem, ouve as minhas preces
Peço que regresses, que me voltes a querer
Eu sei, que não se ama sozinho
Talvez devagarinho, possas voltar a aprender
Meu bem, ouve as minhas preces
Peço que regresses, que me voltes a querer
Eu sei, que não se ama sozinho
Talvez devagarinho, possas voltar a aprender
Se o teu coração não quiser ceder
Não sentir paixão, não quiser sofrer
Sem fazer planos do que virá depois
O meu coração, pode amar pelos dois.
Até logo!
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário